Sunday, January 9, 2011

Country #1: Belgium

Beer: Mort Subite Kriek (draught)
Location: De Hems, London

I admit that I did not start with a little-known beer-producing country, but I was in the mood for some bitterballen and so I headed to a fairly frequent haunt of mine: The Lowlander Grand Cafe, planning to probably have a bottle of De Koninck.

However, the Lowlander was shut. On a Sunday Night at 8pm in Covent Garden. But my bitterballen-lust could not be shut up, and I had heard that they also have bittberballen at De Hems, a dutch pub nearby that I had never attended.

So I turned up, ordered some bitterballen, another random bar snack and got a pint from a tap that I hadn't heard of.

I have to admit that I was slightly worried when I saw my beer was pink; I have drunk very few Lambics, and have usually found them to be quite unpleasant.

This beer was different - pleasantly refreshing. While it certainly was very sweet, it also had a nice sour end-note. I can't imagine myself ordering two of these in a night and if I do order one, it will probably be the first beer of the evening - might be quite a surprising taste after a bitter. While it was maybe a bit too sweet for the bitterballen, it went very well with the other starter I ordered - a surprising taste sensation called Patatje Oorlog.

Patatje Oorlog is chips and red onion, combined in a satay sauce with some mayonnaise. To my uncultured mind, this seems like a pretty random combination, but it was exceptionally moorish and the cherry beer was delicious in combination with it.


http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=t&chs=440x220&chd=s:A&chco=423d28,d92952,33ccaa&chld=BE&chtm=world&chf=bg,s,0000FF

I prefer the bitterballen at the Lowlander, as they are gooier and served with way spicier mustard, but I can imagine myself returning to De Hems for a Mort Subite Kriek and Patatje Oorlog - probably followed by a few beers that don't taste of cherry.

Current Tally: 1 beer, from 1 country.

No comments:

Post a Comment